Saturday, June 26, 2010

Drama on the sports field

Over the last few weeks I like hundreds of other million viewers, have been watching the soccer World Cup Matches. In between I have also been watching Asian cricket series between India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

First of all I confess that I am not much of a sports fan. I rarely ever watch soccer matches. Cricket only when India is playing.

Cricket used to be a gentlemanly game but has become increasingly competitive. While the sledging between Australia and England has been often been written about, until a couple of years ago, in almost every match between Australia and India, there would be altercations and heated words would be exchanged. In the recent India Pakistan match again there were heated exchanges between the players and the referees had to intervene.

While the posturing was amusing to watch, it is nothing compared to what goes on in the soccer field. Players elbowing, tripping, kicking shins, pushing or pulling other players were par for the course in almost every single match. And of course the drama queens ( there should the equivalent of a faker of the match award for the player who was the most convincing in faking a serious injury and being allowed to get away with it ) for the players who would lie spread eagled on the ground holding on to their face, eyes, legs, stomachs until the referee gave his verdict and the next minute they would have a miraculous recovery.The offender on the other hand with the expression "who me ? your eyes must be deceiving you"look on his face is amusing to watch.

I guess this is what adds to the excitement of watching live sports. However from my perspective I have failed to understand how you can enjoy a sports event sitting on the 40th row with the players being relatively dwarfed, and not being able to view the critical shots. I would much rather prefer sitting at home in an air conditioned room and viewing the game on television. You can see the close up and replays of the goal or a cricket player being clean bowled.

However my friends who are into sports look at me disparagingly and say you don't understand the rhythm , the excitement and the camaraderie of watching from the stands - even if you are not wearing the increasingly weird "loyalty"costumes which the fans wear these days. The painted faces remind me of Mel Gibson in Brave Heart,waving their county flags,but instead of swords and battle axes, they have their vuvuzelas.

Well I guess to each his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment