Thursday, August 12, 2010

I am responsible for the mess in India ?

The night before last, I came back from Singapore on one of the small jets used by Jet Airways on this sector.Now that one has gotten used to the flat beds, it is difficult not to complain when you do not have one.

The flight arrived on schedule at 2:00 am and was at the air bridge within a reasonable time. I reached the immigration counter and handed my passport. The person concerned quickly put the arrival stamp on it.

He then noticed that I had an expired visa from Lesotho, where I had gone in June to visit my son. He started examining it. Looked at it intently. Then held up the passport under the light. Not satisfied he held up the page against the light. I waited patiently for one, two, three, four minutes and finally said, " Is there a problem ? Perhaps I can explain ? " That seemed to offend him. He went on a tirade , saying it was his job to examine the passport. "People like you don't mind standing for two hours when you go abroad, but complain when you come back ". Tried to tell him that the Singapore immigration took precisely two minutes to clear me with a smile. His response convinced me that there was no point in talking further. " Its people like you who are responsible for the mess in the country ".

Did not know whether to laugh or cry ?

No comments:

Post a Comment