Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Work Does Not Mean A Damn Thing !

In my blog on Writing About Art ( August 28th,2012) I wrote about the catalog of an artist who was having an exhibition in  Mumbai . In it ,the artist and a couple of critics wrote about the fantastic visions which she had while painting .It was amusing.

While reading the Financial Times of January 27th, I read a article about a American artist Carl Andre - who in 1965 created a buzz in the art world "by laying his sculpture flat on the floor.  The act of reorienting sculpture on the horizontal and inviting viewers to walk on it allowed “people to enter the space of the sculpture, not just look at it,” according to  Sarah Martin,  who is curating his present show Carl Andre: Mass & Matter, Turner Contemporary in Kent".

What I found interesting in the article were his comments on art and I quote a couple .

“I wasn’t inclined toward useful construction. I was inclined toward useless construction, which is what sculpture is.”

“My work doesn’t mean a damn thing. There’s nothing hiding under those plates.” talking about his sculpture.

Apparently he was "inspired" by a visit to Kyoto about 40 years ago and I quote from the article

" He is recounting a day spent in Kyoto with his fellow minimalist pioneer Sol Lewitt .... They roamed from temple to temple and listened to monks explain the  symbolism of each themed garden, before coming to a Zen Buddhist shrine. There, a monk advised the the two artists,  " This garden has no meaning whatsoever. It is only beautiful".

A contrast to the pages of visions and interpretation of works by most artists.


No comments:

Post a Comment