Thursday, June 14, 2012

Globilisation - Elevator Music

It used to be that when you entered a elevator in a international city such as Hong Kong, Singapore, London or New York, you would end up hearing a variation of Kenny G smooth saxaphone but over the last few years it has been changing and becoming increasing global.

During my last years at HSBC when I used to visit the the head office, I used to stay at the Four Seasons at Canary Wharf. It was not unusual to occasionally  hear Bollywood music in the elevator including one of my favorite Chaiya Chaiya. Catering to a international clientele it was perhaps not surprising that it had a wide selection of international music. On a recent visit to Hong Kong  in a shopping mall  elevator,  my wife and I were both surprised to hear Bollyood music. We both looked at each other " Bollywood music in a Hong Kong elevator ?" To me that really means that Bollywood is finally going global.

I  presently have a office in a building in Gurgaon called Signature Towers where the tenant mix is a combination of local and multinational ( including Asian multinationals) companies. Ever since I have been here, the music in the elevators was traditional "bhajans" , Hindu religious music in the mornings and Bollywood during the days. However over the last couple of weeks the person responsible,seems  to have decided that it was time for a change. Since than much to my pleasant surprise and joy, not just the elevators, but lobbies have been piping out country western music.

It is not just a few songs repeated over and over again, but a large selection ranging from Johnny Cash, to Glen Campbell, to the Band. Hearing old favourites such  as Bobby McGee, Down by Cripple Creek, The Gambler that I have to control myself singing along and being stared at. The other people in the elevators  , particularly the young are quite confused and keep asking why are they playing this strange English music. Perhaps Lady Gaga or Seal might be more to their liking , but from my perspective, the elevator disc jockey can keep playing this. Better than Bhajans any day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since my blog posting, I went down to the administration office and  gave them a eight CD set " The Ultimate Rock Collection " which they agreed to play and now I have my own private elevator music.

1 comment:

  1. Great and fun post, Avi! You have no idea, I am learning Bollywood here in the Bay Area and am loving it!

    ReplyDelete